Friday, July 3, 2009

So nice to see you

Hello

Actually I am not really looking at you, but I do have your picture for now. Something as common as sight is often taken for granted by us humans who enjoy it.

To build a robot that does what we do from day to day is very hard .To have a robot go several feet and stop is not an easy task to accomplish. It takes months of building and programming. I usually build things from scratch and I program in machine language. To debug the hardware and software is time consuming.

To see is another task that is difficult to implement in our robots . For in us the eye is the organ of sight, but the brain does the actual seeing. So we may fit our machines with cameras but if we fail to provide with a simple type brain it is essentially blind. We use all our senses together in the symphony of life. However to write that song for robots is still in the future.

So each and everyone of us is truly a complex creature doing amazing things. I realized this when I tried to emulate the most basic of functions into a robot. With this insight please remember to treat yourself and others just a tad better.

Take care

Pius

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree that the biggest lesson we learn from working in robotics is awe, for just how amazing natural intelligence is.

    One useful way I've found of illustrating the true difficulty of vision is this: Imagine someone has pointed a TV camera at an object, but all you can see is an oscilloscope trace of the signal coming out of the camera. Can you tell what the object is? No, of course not. And yet the oscilloscope trace contains all the information you would get if you were looking instead at the image of the object on TV. Normally all we're aware of is the OUTPUT of our visual system, after all the hard work has been done. So seeing looks so easy - there's an object, what can be hard about that? But although the scope trace contains the same information it's in a form that our brains can't process, so we have no clue what we're looking at. That's what the problem is like for a robot.

    I like your phrase "the symphony of life"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, You have done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and
    personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this website.


    my webpage :: paid surveys

    ReplyDelete