Sunday, April 29, 2012

Alloting Words

Shakespeare once wrote in one of his plays, " That a rose by any other name would smell just a sweet."  In another he penned the following words, " How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child." Even common day to day activities were stated with eloquence. Marc Anthony wished that the people gathered after the murder of Julius Caesar would listen to him. He entreats them with these words, " Friends, Romans ,countrymen lend me your ears !!!" I have remembered these over the years because they are beautiful and crafted with intelligence and genuine warmth.

As I sat in a coffee shop I penned more words surrounded by talk. Most of it unintelligible and distant enough that it did not intrude on my own thoughts. When I walked down the street  I saw and heard people conversing on their cell phones. On the computer there are so, so, so many sites, forums, chat-rooms and blogs that it is at times overwhelming.

I wonder how many words are spoken or written or typed in a single day by all the humans on this planet. Could you actually count such things accurately??  I know  I have like most humans, said words that I wish I could take back. However once something is uttered it is impossible to unsay, not write it. This is the result of engaging the mouth before engaging the brain .

I listened to a talk show host on the radio many years ago and he coined a phrase that has stayed with me. He said we should be allotted so many words a day. When the number of words spoken or written were reached we would have to stop. Hopefully this would give us time to think twice or thrice before we pen or say words that would add nothing of substance or value.  I realize that something like this concept would be almost impossible to suggest , let alone implement. I just found it intriguing!!!

2 comments:

  1. It's nearly impossible to find educated people for this
    subject, but you sound like you know what you're talking about!

    Thanks

    Here is my blog post: free music downloads (freemusicdownloadsb.com)

    ReplyDelete