Friday, April 27, 2012

Junk Wire




As I was walking down the street I noticed something on the ground. It was to me a small treasure!! Some technician had been repairing the land-line  phone box and had thrown out some wire. I grabbed it quickly and wound it into a small ball.

I find it amazing that we can have a copper wire of such great tensile strength in so small a diameter. I have seen cables on those great wooden spools as they slowly unwind down a manhole. As they disappear, I find it fascinating that it can go on and on and not break. Copper is well known as a wonderful conductor of electricity and in order to make it more useful it usually covered with a non-conductor. As such these covered wires can mix and mingle and not short each other.

What a high level of civilization and technology we have surely achieved. When I wrote this note on paper with a gel pen I recalled that this too was fascinating. Paper , created, lined and placed in book form. A pen with ink so it runs out uniformly and smoothly. All I have to do is write. I do not have to dip my pen into an ink jar. The inventor of the ball point pen should be hailed as a hero by everyone. Yet how many people know about this marvel in their hand. In our so called advanced society it is one of the simplest and most abundant artifact. Yet the future is always depicted with people touch writing on an electronic pad. Those who own that great scourge of the twenty-first century , the cell phone, are always texting. Usually when the they are stepping off the sidewalk into the road.

Yes I do type on a computer with my famous one finger method, but I am always writing, writing, writing on paper with a wide variety of pens. We are surrounded by wonders of technology that we take for granted.







1 comment:

  1. hi!,I like your writing very a lot! share we be in contact
    more approximately your post on AOL? I require an expert in this space to solve my problem.
    Maybe that is you! Taking a look ahead to look you.


    Feel free to surf to my webpage - free music downloads (http://freemusicdownloadsb.com)

    ReplyDelete